Welcome back to Day By Dom! As always, I’m so glad you’re here.
As the title indicates, I’m here to give you some pretty solid reasons on why you should learn Italian. However, if you are looking to learn a different language, I hope this post enables you to search deeper on your reasoning for choosing that language. I think knowing Italian has opened my world, and I hope it opens yours too!
People often base learning a language off how “useful” it is; i.e. how many people speak it. However, many fail to realize the value a certain language can have over another based on your career or personal preferences. That goes beyond the sheer number of people with whom you can speak. We as English speakers have the privilege of not having to learn a language out of obligation, so why not choose a language we love? In my opinion, ANY second language will make you smarter, cooler, and more marketable. Alas, here are some excellent reasons to start learning Italian!
- You’ll be in good company! Did you know Italian is the world’s fourth most studied language? You can fact check that here.
- Italy, Switzerland, San Marino, Vatican City, and parts of Slovenia and Croatia are the 6 countries that use Italian as an official language. In addition, many people speak it where Italians have settled (in the past or present). Around 85 million people speak Italian as a first or additional language.
- Italian is one of the closest languages to Latin, its ancestor. This will inevitably improve your native language as well! Don’t believe me? “Credere” means “to believe;” the English word “credible” means “able to be believed.” Through knowing Italian, you will constantly be making these connections.
- Certain languages are considered “useful” in certain fields. For example, if you want to work for the federal government, languages like Arabic or Russian can be useful. If you want to work in areas near the US/Mexico border, Spanish is undeniably useful. Career paths where Italian is particularly useful include fashion, music, culinary arts, history, and tourism, amongst others.
- Italy is one of the most visited countries in the world, and knowing its language will make your experience even richer. It’s also one of the most common destinations for American students to study.
- Once you learn one Romance Language, it will become easier to pick up another. If you already know Spanish, consider then learning Italian, as they are quite similar. Or maybe once you learn Italian, you can pick up French or Portuguese.
- Italian is often regarded as the world’s most beautiful spoken language. Knowing Italian is sexy! It’s a language that’s pleasing to speak and hear. You will feel connected to la dolce vita, or the “sweet life” commonly associated with Italian culture.
These are just a few reasons why I think you should learn Italian. If anything, I hope that you choose a language that suits you (if you’re looking to pursue one). You don’t have to learn a language just because it is widely spoken. If you aren’t passionate about it, you’ll never learn it to your desired proficiency.
In bocca al lupo! Good Luck!
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe in the subscription box below. Don’t forget to follow me on my socials, which are all linked in the top right of the header. Share this post to let your friends know what you think!
A presto (See you soon!),